ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Fla. CB Sets Official to Iowa State

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A Sunshine State defensive back had been committed to a G5 program but that may soon change following an official visit to Iowa State.

Plant City (Fla.) senior Tyreke Harrison said the Cyclones started recruiting him near the end of his season and that the contact has continued to pick up ever since. He now has eyes on a trip to Ames.

“It was around the first week of playoffs, my coach told me that Iowa State was impressed with my film,” said Harrison, who has been committed to Georgia State. “After a while, we started communicating. It was four different coaches and Matt Campbell followed me on Twitter. We started talking. They offered me yesterday when Coach McDonald visited me at school.”

Harrison says that will visit will happen in a week and a half, and he’s excited to see the program operating during Alamo Bowl preparations.

“My official visit for Iowa State is next weekend and I’m looking forward to watching one of the practices, because I hear they are different from regular practices,” he said. “I want to see how the guys interact with each other during the bowl practice. The coach said they have guys in their program from all different backgrounds…guys coming from other countries, as well as New York and California. I want to see how they interact. I want to see the real side of them.”

During an in-school visit from cornerbacks coach D.K. McDonald, Harrison said he got an idea of what the coaching staff wants to do with him if he signs in the 2019 class.

“He was impressed with how I move around in the secondary and believes I would be a perfect fit at Iowa State,” Harrison said. “I think I’d play corner to start there, because they love the way I play man and have the ability to guard in the slot. I’d be a good hybrid because of the way I strike people. I can stay in the box.”

Although he’ll certainly be learning more during his official visit, the defensive back said he’s already heard a little about the Cyclones.

“I did a little (virtual) tour and saw that this is their second consecutive year finishing in the top-25 of college football,” Harrison said. “Coach McDonald encouraged me to go somewhere that I felt like home, to make a smart decision and go to a place I could see myself spending the next four to five years.”

Coaches should have a better idea where Harrison stands following next weekend, but don’t expect him to put any ink down on paper until next year.

“I want to sign with my hometown buddies on February 6th,” he said. “At the end of the visit, I will see where my recruiting process is. If I feel like Iowa State is better than Georgia State, I will end up switching and calling it a day.”

Harrison said Marshall has also gotten involved in his recruitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.