ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING DL Singleton Visiting This Weekend

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State will host an Illinois prep defensive lineman on an unofficial visit this weekend, as the prospect looks to get a deeper look at the program that became his first Power-5 offer last summer.

Gurnee Warren Township junior Willis Singleton appears to have worked his way towards the top of the Cyclones’ wish list at defensive tackle after a strong showing as a junior, and the coaching staff in Ames has been keeping tabs on him for a while.

“I first met Coach (Eli) Rasheed at a camp here in Naperville, Illinois, in the summer of 2018 and then he asked me to come up to Iowa State to participate in their padded camp,” said Singleton. “I came up there and he said I did well. He wanted to see how my season went and how I matured. And then, Coach (Matt) Campbell, Coach (Alex) Golesh and Coach Rasheed came to watch me work out. They liked what they saw and how my body had changed, so I got a call from Coach Rasheed offering me.

“I’m set to visit this Friday and Saturday. They’re definitely one of the top schools on my list right now. I love Coach Campbell’s message and have been in contact with Coach Rasheed, Coach Golesh and Coach (Derek) Hoodjer. I love how they treat me and how they care. They’re not just giving me that good salesman pitch; it feels genuine with them.”

The 6-foot-2, 285-pound Singleton is a three-star recruit with a 5.5 Rivals rating. Out of his 13 total offers, he has Power-5 ones from ISU, Louisville and Washington State.

On his visit to Ames this weekend, Singleton said he’ll be looking at the school side of things in addition to observing a football practice.

“I’m looking forward to check out the campus aspect of it,” he said. “When you go to camp, you get to see the indoor, weight room and everything. I sat in on a meeting with the defensive line. I’m really looking forward to seeing the whole Iowa State campus and what the academics has to offer. I also want to see Coach Rasheed in action coaching the defensive line in spring practice.”

In addition to just being the first P5 school in the door, Singleton said he likes the way he’s being recruited by the Cyclones. That includes by the head coach, who has played a role in his recruitment.

“It’s made a huge impression,” he said. “Usually, it’s just a recruiting coach or position coach that comes to see you. If the head coach comes into see you, that shows they’re really interested and really think highly of you. It made me feel good that a program like Iowa State and the head coach would take time out of his day to come see me.

“About a week after the offer, I got on the phone with Coach Campbell and we got to chop it up a little bit. He asked me what I love to do. He said I’m exactly the guy that Iowa State is looking for, in that I’m a guy that stays away from trouble, has a great smile and knows how to impact other people. He said they don’t just want a four-star football player, but a person with a four-star attitude. He said that I have that completely.”

Singleton said he is being coveted by the Cyclones for a number of reasons.

“I’ve heard from the coaches that I’m on the top of their recruiting board right now,” he said. “They like that I’m very quick laterally, my aggression and my will to keep playing over and over. Not a lot of defensive linemen have that motor to keep going when they’re tired. Through the weight room and conditioning, I’ve been able to become very good at that and hone that in. They also like my long arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News