ADVERTISEMENT

Best $1870 I Ever Spent & Other Random Thoughts (some OT)

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
I just renewed my season tickets for MBB, WBB, VB & WR. It has me stoked for another school year, although I am willing to put up with as many more days like today as I can have before the FB & VB season begins. It is a beautiful day in eastern Iowa.
------------------------------
What better thing to do on such a beautiful day than to attend Iowa State day at the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Gates open at 5:30 PM today (Friday). Details here.
I saw a picture of the Tigerhawk logo on the field at Kinnick. I didn't think the black looked looked that great, but what really struck me in the picture was the stadium itself. Our stadium by comparison looks terrific. The difference is striking when both are empty. Granted this picture faced away from their press box, which is not the best look. With some reservations because of our odd looking press box, I believe we have zoomed past those frauds to the east with their "historic" stadium. It doesn't make sense to upgrade our press box just because of the look, but it sure would be great if demand for more suites could justify an expansion (or replacement).
After only a couple of days after applying the insecticide to my lawn, it appears that my pool is bug-free. That surprises me and is a stark contrast to a few days ago. Maybe the local insects were having an Independence Day party in my pool that day. Maybe they all drowned in the 0.75 inches of rain we got the other night. Or maybe it's something else. But whatever it is, I'll take it.

The jury is still out on the Japanese Beetles that feast on one of my trees, which I believe is a Greenspire Linden. It appears the population is down from what it was before spraying insecticide, but there are still a number of them fattening up on those leaves. I normally spray that tree, but the sprayer I attach to my hose broke last year and I haven't had time to replace it. I'm going to see if the hand attachment on my lawn sprayer can reach the top of that tree. Otherwise I will be out looking for something that can, or a new nozzle for the sprayer.
My final random thought is a story about CenturyLink Internet at my condo in Ames. Every year after our last home basketball game, I put the service on vacation hold for about 6 months until football starts. When I call to put it on hold I always make sure there are no charges. Zero, zilch, nada. Otherwise I would just disconnect. I'm always assured there will be no charges when it is on hold.

But the last couple of years after putting it on hold, a small monthly charge ($9.99) appears on my bill. While the amount isn't that great it pisses me off that they told me there would be none and that I have to call to get it removed. This year it took 3 extra calls after the call to put it on hold.

The first call credited me for the first two months, one for the past bill and one for the next bill, before the charge would disappear. The charge didn't disappear, so the 2nd call I was told the fee would be waived but in case there is a problem he was sending me a $30 gift card. More time goes by, no gift card arrives, and the charges keep appearing. So I call for the third time.

This time I was told the fee can only be waived every other year. The system must have rejected what was done during the first two calls. So she issue me a $63.20 credit to cover the entire time I would have this on hold. That is in addition to the 21.98 credit I already received and I had told her about. That's $85.18 in credits. Then as you may have guessed, the $30 gift card finally arrives in the mail. So they have paid me back $115.18 to cover what would amount to $60 of fees over the 6 month period. I'm quite happy based with the financial outcome, but am still not happy I have call to take care of this.

Reactions: Bear Clone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News