ADVERTISEMENT

Possible scam?

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I've been getting these weird phone calls. They're weird in two ways. First way is my phone never rings. I just find out I've had a phone call by looking at my "recents," then discovering I have a voicemail. I've gotten 5 of these calls so far in the last three or four weeks and the only time my phone ever rang, it was just a short blip, less than half a second.

Second way they are weird is the topic of the call. They say I can get up to $26,000 on payroll tax returns for employees I had on the payroll between 2020 and 2022. First of all, I never worked those years. I retired in 2019. Second of all, even when I worked, I never owned a business and never had to pay a payroll tax.

These voicemails all come from different phone numbers with different area codes and different voices. The first four times, it was a female voice and, I don't know, it could have been the same voice every time, I'm just not sure. This last time, it was a male voice. They all want me to call them back at a number they provide and I have no clue if it's the same number every time or not because I delete the voicemail as soon as I've listened to it.

If this is a scam, what's the end game? Are they just phishing, trying to get me to reveal some private information? Are they going to tell me that in order to claim the $26,000, I have to send them a finder's fee or processing fee? What does everyone think is going on here? Has anyone else received similar phone calls?

Reactions: MJOFLY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News