ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Vetting JC Receiver Jordan

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A late-emerging wide receiver target for an Iowa State program looking for a veteran presence is a prospect from the California JUCO ranks who was an All-American this past season.

Ventura College redshirt sophomore Brandon Jordan earned an offer from the Cyclones earlier this week and says he had been on the radar of assistant coach Alex Golesh for a while.

“They had been watching me for a while now and had been watching me over the season,” said Jordan. “They knew I wasn’t a mid-year graduate, so they waited for after the first signing period to talk to me because I couldn’t leave.

“Recently, they contacted me, said they were going to come out to California to talk to me next week at school and work on a plan with me. I still have to take some online classes this summer, so they want to work on a plan to get me out there. They need an older guy after Hakeem Butler declared for the draft. Maybe I can be that for them.”

A former standout at Carpinteria High School in southern California, Jordan caught 41 passes for 635 yards and eight touchdowns in 2018.

In addition to ISU, he has received offers from Louisville and Fresno State and says UNLV and Utah State have shown recent interest. Jordan visited Louisville in December, but it appears that Power-5 program is no longer an option headed into the February signing period.

Jordan’s conversation with Golesh on Wednesday night was more of a getting-to-know-you talk, said the receiver.

“That was our first time ever talking with each other on the phone, so I gave him a little background and he asked me what I’m looking for these next two years,” Jordan said. “I said I want to have a big impact on a team, win and be the best version of myself. I’ll learn the system and do whatever’s needed to help immediately.”

As he knew the Cyclones had some preliminary interest, Jordan said he paid attention to the 2018 season they had that culminated in an Alamo Bowl appearance.

“I checked them out a little bit, especially in the bowl game and I loved that they pass the ball around,” he said. “One thing about the Big 12 is they pass the ball a lot. Iowa State battled with everyone, had a good season and beat some good teams. They were a tough, solid team throughout everything.”

Fighting through adversity is something Jordan has also had to do in recent years. After playing for his JUCO as a true freshman in 2016, he was academically ineligible to play in 2017 and had to take a redshirt year. But the light came on for Jordan and he returned to have a banner season this fall. He’ll have two years to play two seasons at his next stop.

I-State’s Golesh will visit Jordan in school on Monday and the wide receiver anticipates getting an official visit set up to Ames.

“I haven’t scheduled anything yet; they just offered me over the phone and said they were coming out on Monday to look over my transcripts,” Jordan said. “I’m sure when they come out to see me, I’ll work out something to go out and see them. I think next weekend might be a possibility. The sooner I check it out the better.”

Reactions: Cypull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News